Teaching Workshops

Becoming A Teacher:
Pedagogy Training Programs for Graduate Student Instructors

Organized and Run by:
Lisa Damour and Anne Curzan
Authors of First Day to Final Grade: A Graduate Student’s Guide to Teaching

We provide pedagogy workshops and orientation programs for groups ranging in size from ten to a few hundred graduate student teachers, lasting from a half day to two full days. These workshops are equally well-suited to brand new and relatively experienced graduate student instructors. We gladly customize these training programs to match the needs of your particular academic units and instructors.

We approach each of our sessions with the goals of giving graduate student teachers immediately useful, practical information and equipping them to address a range of broader teaching concerns. Further, we have found that graduate students are very eager to have us think with them about the specific challenges that they face at the beginning of any given term and to discuss teaching dilemmas that they may have already confronted.Praise from workshop attendees:

“I thought the presenters were fabulous – very engaging with great suggestions on how to handle things.”

“You were so enthusiastic, it was wonderful!!! You were very organized and had terrific personal examples which will serve as role models for me as I plan my own examples.”

“Thank you!  The workshop was VERY insightful and I’m a lot more relaxed, comfortable and prepared to teach now. The workshop should be a requirement for all TAs.”